Church in central park
Central park
Beautiful mountains
We had originally planned to have orientation on Monday and
Tuesday, but because of the teachers arrivals it was pushed back to Tuesday.
However, the school surprised us with a typical breakfast on Monday morning. It
was fried bananas, cheese, crème, sausage and sweet coffee. We met the
principal and founder of the school. This is the first year that the Minerva
school is all in one building. It is a brand new facility, which is very
exciting for all of us.
After seeing the school, we walked up into town to buy a few
more things we needed for our houses. The owner of the school also owns the
hotel right next to the school. Teachers are welcome to use the pool at the
hotel so we went to check it out. We didn’t actually get in the water, but we
did explore the pond and waterfront. The pond is FULL of fish that look like
fat goldfish. I definitely don’t plan on falling into that pond.
Then we went to the pulperia down the street to belliadas.
Bolibelliadas have beans, cream, cheese, eggs, and avocado wrapped in a thick
tortilla. We also had liquados, fruit juice mixed with milk or water with
cinnamon on top. It was delicious!
We started orientation on Tuesday. We met at the school and
discussed essential information, such as school calendar (which is not set yet)
and the employment contract. The start of school has been pushed back to
September 3rd. We originally though it would start August 22nd…
I’ve already learned not to rush… things will get done in due time J . We can’t get into
our classrooms until August 15th, so are free to explore until then!
Tomorrow, we plan to go to the hot springs and have planned a trip to the lake
for this weekend.
Today we explored the town a bit more. This included hanging
out in the central park and drinking granitas. A café granita is just like an
iced cappuccino. I love coffee, so of course this drink has been added to my
new list of favorite things.
We found a local place by the park for papusas. These are
sweet tortillas filled with cheese, meat, or a combination of both. They come
with sweet cabbage to eat on top. Yum! This extra time is great because all the
teachers are getting to know each other. We have two former Peace Corps
volunteers in our group, former full time teachers, recent graduates, an early
graduate, most international studies majors, and almost everyone has studied
abroad. In addition, we’re from all over the United States. I’m already so
impressed with everyone’s backgrounds and feel so lucky to be surrounded by
wonderful, intelligent, and very interesting people who share passions for
education and exploring.
A few things I’ve learned about Honduras today:
·
You can’t flush the toilet paper. Oops.
·
Laundry is done by hand washing in a pilla. A
pilla is sort of like a large cement square shaped tub with special pieces for
scrubbing. This includes a process of soaking, scrubbing, and line drying. Nina
(former Peace Corps volunteer placed in another part of Honduras) taught Sara
and I how to do this today. I’m actually looking forward to do my own laundry
by hand!
·
It is not acceptable for women to buy hard
liquor. One of the many things I’ve learned about being a woman in this
country. I’m beginning to see how much I’ve taken for granted growing up as a
female in the United States.
That is so exciting Holly! Sounds like a lot of yummmy food!
ReplyDelete"Travel plans: one way ticket. You only live once. "
ReplyDelete!!!
Oh Holly, you've put a lump in my throat! I'm so excited for you, and maybe an eentsy bit envious. :)
I just read through all your posts so far. It sounds just wonderful, even the bumps. The bumps are what make this an Experience with a capital E. I think it's funny that one of your first lessons was buying hard alcohol will get you disapproving looks. You figured that out quickly, didn't you dear! :) I spent a couple weeks at a school in Mexico two summers ago, and we couldn't flush the TP there either. That took some getting used to...
The food & scenery sound amazing, and your colleagues sound like fascinating people. I'm so glad you have some time to explore before you start. Thank you for sharing your adventures with us folks up north. I'm thinking about you!
Katherine/Dr. G-A