Thursday, September 27, 2012

Wait.. is it really Friday tomorrow??

The school year has really taken off... in a good way! I would say this has been the best week so far. The kids are settling in, and it's already time to test on Unit 1 in Math. Too bad the copier is broken... again. I feel like I learn about as much as the kids do everyday. I set a goal for myself to try one new idea each day. This idea could be as small as how I represent the number 26 to the students, or as big as a seating change. My students love identifying letters, colors, and words in our room. They also like to repeat phrases, words, point to pictures and learn the English words. This is mostly wonderful, but a little distracting when I'm trying to introduce a new topic. Overall, their interest and excitement is a very good "problem" to have. The best part of this week was Art on Tuesday. We made Consonant caterpillars...






I also had my first parent teacher meeting. It went very well and was so refreshing to talk with a wonderful and support team of parents.


One week ago, I adopted my first pet! I always told my Dad that I would adopt a cat as soon as I got my first apartment. One of the other school employees said she had two cats, and offered me one. I said yes, and a few trips to the agro vet (there is only one place in town to buy cat food), a few baths, a trip to a friendly Minerva family for saw dust later I have a cat. His name is Gypsy. Within the first 5 minutes he managed to get himself INTO the oven of the yellow house. He's adjusting well, and aside from the need to sweep my apartment everyday, we are a happy couple. Yes, I am a cat lady now. It's worth it. Arriving home from after a long day at school to play with a happy kitten is a pretty great stress reliever.



Last week the ferreria was here in town. It's basically a gathering of vendors in central park. We went a few times, and are finally starting to make some Honduran friends. They are friends of another teacher at the school.

My lastest obsession are leches. They are the strangest looking fruit I have ever seen but they are delicious. You peel the skin off and eat the inside fruit, and then spit out the seed.

I can't believe I've been for for almost 2 months. It's finally starting to feel like I'm going to be living here for the next 8 months. A group of us watched the premiere of Modern Family on ustvnow.com (lifesaver) last night and it made us all a little homesick for fall. There are times when I really miss the leaves changing, pumpkin bread, and football. But mostly, I'm starting to feel at home here in Gracias, Honduras. 

No comments:

Post a Comment