Thursday, July 12, 2012

"You can freak out in a week"

Conversation with mother last Sunday night...

Me: "MOM I'M LEAVING IN 3 WEEKS  I'M FREAKING OUT.. WHAT AM I DOING!?"
Mother: "Holly, look at the calendar again... you're leaving in 4 weeks. You can freak out in a week." 

Well here we are, 3 weeks and one day away from departure date. After a field trip to the Columbus Zoo with the program I'm working with this summer, I feel slightly more able to handle first grade in Honduras. And, less like "freaking out." At least at this moment. 

I've started this blog to share with those who've helped me get to this point in my journey. Or, what my friends and I like to call, our freshman year of life. Here's how I came to this point and writing about my upcoming adventure to Honduras. After a few (ok, that's an understatement...) searches of "jobs" and "education" on idealist.org, I read a job posting for teachers at Minerva Bilingual School. One thing lead to an interview the day after graduation... and another lead to a phone call home with news of a job offer. After much deliberation (I knew right away I would take it.. but others had a few more questions... :) I signed the contract in the living room of my home in Iowa with the support of my parents, family, friends, and professors. To all those who've helped me, thank you! I feel a little selfish writing a blog all about my life, but I'm doing it for you all!

Back to business. Books: plenty of trips to half price books. Clothes: lots of long skirts and light clothing. My class: have contacted teachers of the students that will be in my class. Travel plans: one way ticket. You only live once. 




No comments:

Post a Comment