Monday, November 26, 2012

Copan, Guatemala, Honduras

Thanksgiving break was a success. I traveled to Copan Ruinas, and then Antigua, Guatemala with 5 other teachers. We had quite an adventure trip... good thing we are all so used to going with the flow now. We met some interesting people along the way and I learned about how other people in the world view the United States and the actions of our government. I think we also did our fair share of explaining that the United States is a large country, and the actions of our government do not necessarily reflect how every US citizen thinks. No government is perfect, ours included. But, it does make sense that we are constantly ridiculed because are such a strong force in the daily happenings of the greater world. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I feel it is important to always be tactful  and educated when conversing with people of other cultures.

The best part of the trip was horseback riding in Copan. Galloping along a stream in Honduras on Thanksgiving definitely makes my top 3 Thanksgivings! I will post pictures soon.

All is well here, with plenty of Christmas music and trees beginning to pop up all over town. A Christmas tree looks the same in Honduras as it does in the States... it makes the world feel just a little bit smaller.

No comments:

Post a Comment